Here are Some Helpful Tips to Help You Decide Whether to Repair or Replace
When your air conditioner starts needing frequent repair, deciding whether to continue repairing it or to replace it can be challenging. It costs more to install a new unit, but you may save money over time due to greater energy efficiency. You may also be able to keep your current unit running by repairing issues promptly and having regular preventive maintenance performed. Here are some factors to consider as you decide whether you should continue to seek Bay Area air conditioning repair:
- More than 15 years old: The Energy Star program of the Environmental Protection Agency recommend that home and business owners start considering replacement at 10 years and no later than 15 years. The upgrade will increase efficiency and allow you to save considerable money on cooling costs.
- Cost of repairs: If you’re leaning towards repair rather than replacement, request a written cost estimate first. We recommend that you compare this to the cost of several brands of new units. If the estimate is 50 percent or more of what it would cost to replace your air conditioner, doing so just makes good financial sense.
- Cost of operation: When you continue to repair your air conditioner and are careful about energy use, it’s frustrating to see your monthly cooling bill continue to climb anyway. It’s normal to see slight fluctuations based on weather and use, but a consistent increase in costs is a good sign that it’s time to replace the unit.
- Coolant type: Older air conditioners use a type of coolant known as R-22. Due to regulations from the Environmental Protection Agency, it won’t be available after 2020. That means it’s going to get more challenging to repair your unit as it ages. The coolant type R-410A costs less, is more environmentally friendly, and it helps to produce greater energy efficiency.
- Cool air distributes unequally through your home or business: A sure sign of inefficiency is when some rooms feel too warm or too cold while others feel ideal. When your air conditioner operates properly, you should be able to feel cool air equally no matter where you’re located. If you have tried to repair this issue more than once and it keeps returning, you may want to consider a new and more efficient unit instead. This may be the perfect time to contact a Bay Area air conditioning repair company.
Do you need help deciding whether to replace or repair your A/C?
At Element Home Solutions HVAC and Air Duct Cleaning Company, we understand that this can be a difficult decision to make. In addition to the above, you need to consider your budget, available space, and several other unique factors. We offer Bay Area HVAC services. Please contact us for a free quote if you need air conditioning repair or new installation. We can also help you evaluate your situation more thoroughly to determine the best course of action. Our company is proud of our reputation for providing outstanding Bay Area air conditioning repair.